Download Basilisk Open-Source Browser for Windows 32/64-bit
Basilisk is a free and open-source web browser based on XUL, featuring a Firefox-style interface and operation. It builds on the Goanna layout and rendering engine (Gecko fork) and builds on the XUL Unified Platform (UXP), which in turn is a fork of the Mozilla symbol base without Servo or Rust. The tool is a fully-featured modern web browser. He aims to preserve the useful technologies that Firefox removed from his brother.
The browser is basically a reference app for developing the XUL platform that it builds on, as well as a potential alternative to Firefox.
- It works on all NPAPI plugins (Unity, Silverlight, Flash, Java, plugins, etc.).
- Provides support for XUL / Overlay Mozilla style extensions.
- Experimental features for Web Extensions (in gecko-target mode).
- Some Mozilla Web Extension APIs are not yet available.
- ALSA support on Linux.
- It has support for Web Assembly (WASM).
- Provides advanced graphite calligraphy support.
- Modern web encoding: Up to TLS 1.3, modern codes, HSTS, etc.
Basilisk is a development program. This means that it should be considered more or less ‘beta’ at all times; it may contain some errors and be provided as-is, with potential flaws. Like any other free software community project, it comes without any warranty or promise for any particular purpose. “Of course, we will do our best to provide a stable and secure browser as possible with every official version of Basilisk Browser 32/64-bit for PC.”
Download Basilisk Open-Source Browser
It should be noted that due to this focus on platform development, the browser itself (application icon) will be released and maintained mostly as is, with little change or development to the user interface or browser front-end features. As the platform evolves, some features of Firefox may be ignored; please do not expect this app to stay the same forever.
Important differences with Mozilla Firefox
- It does not require the signature of a walled garden accessory.
- Goanna is used as an engine for planning and presentation.
- It does not use electrolysis (e10s, multi-threaded browsing).
- Goanna behaves slightly differently from Gecko in certain ways and may result in a different display of web pages.
- It has some long known issues with fixing the Mozilla codebase (for example CVE-2009-1232).
- Goanna introduces hues in a more accurate (non-pre-hitting) color space.
- Based on the UXP and XUL platform in development. Because XUL is alive and well in this web browser and will not be neglected.
- It does not use a rust or photon user interface. You can expect a familiar interface as Firefox loaded between versions 29 and v56.
- Category: Internet Browsers
- Software name: Basilisk
- License: Freeware
- Version: latest
- File size: 45.2 MB
- Operating systems: Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, and XP
- Languages: Multilanguage
- Developer: Moonchild Productions
- Official site: basilisk-browser.org
- S3 Browser 2021 Free for Windows, Mac and Linux
- Brave Browser 2021 for Windows, Mac and Android
- Avast Secure Browser 2021 Free Fast and Secure